Saturday, May 8, 2010

Domo Arigato Mr. Takita

Departures - Japan - Drama - 2008 - Directed by: Yojiro Takita
W's - WONDERFUL to the third power.

*courtesy of onegaijeanchan.wordpress.com*

I love Japan... Well, at least I think I do since I've never actually been there... But, from my exposure to Japanese art, the beautiful scenery, their amazing culture that I've read about and watched through videos and this movie - and of course at Epcot in Disney World - I feel like I would love it there...


*courtesy of iconicionic.wordpress.com*

(I would have said food too but we all know that the "Kyoto Express" is nothing like what they actually make and serve in Japan. Well, except for sushi, but I don't eat it. I have an issue with textures and shell fish.)

*courtesy of emmas.blogg.se/2009/february/*

This movie reaffirmed and strengthened my love for Japan. 

*goodmorninggloucester.wordpress.com*

The custom that is showcased may be a little morbid to some viewers but I can't help but see the beauty in it.

In this film, when a person dies it is someones job to come and do a ceremony that prepares the dead for their trip to the afterlife. Of course, all of the characters have different life stories that led them to this type of profession but those little details are meant to be learned through watching it yourself. :-) But, what you should know is that most people who know about this tradition is quite disgusted by it. One only learns to appreciate it by witnessing the care and respect that is shown to the dead.

All in all, this story is absolutely lovely. There is love, laughter, sadness, and forgiveness. The cinematography is amazing and reading the English translation isn't hard at all. I think the only thing I had a little bit of difficulty with is one of the main characters name - Daigo. Every time someone would say his name and I would read it my brain would screech to a halt until I just finally allowed it to read Diego... I know, it's weird but for some reason that name really made me mentally stumble.

Go here:
http://www.departures-themovie.com/index.html

Watch and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment